Escalated Client Concern Resolution Process
Second Visit Same Concern (SVSC)
Three important measures of the Quality of Work performed in the service department are:
- Fixed RIGHT the FIRST time ON time and AT the price quoted
- High CSI service standard scores
- Loyal long-term clients
- High gross profit margins
Minimum Costs of Escalated Client Concerns
The cost of these occurrences is based on the following:
An average of three (3) man hours at a bare minimum $25 per hour
Plus, the cost of policy work X 2
GOAL: Minimize impact of escalated client concerns to service policy account
Escalated Client Concern Policy Statement
- No compensation for escalated client concerns for all involved related to breakdowns in process especially warranty.
- Reward or incent the service team for significant reductions in escalated client concerns.
- To ensure you achieve the above measures it is important to increase the amount of road testing by your service consultants, senior service consultants, technical team leaders/shop supervisors prior to repair order creation to ensure accurate concern documentation, signs and symptoms assessment.
- Ensure that the conditions in which the client drives the vehicle that create the client concern are exactly duplicated.
- Listen and question intelligently so that you let the client tell you exactly what, how, when, where and why they feel they have a legitimate concern with their vehicle?
- Clearly identify all escalated client concern paperwork with distinguishable bright dots or colours so that the entire team is aware that this is a second visit same concern (SVSC). These situations though negative provide excellent learning opportunities for the entire team.
- Encourage the entire team to pay specific attention to this concern, this client and this vehicle.
- TRACK all escalated client concerns by service technician, and by service consultant. Use the attached escalated concern tracking report to:
Identify the root cause of the escalated client concern
(Product, part/component, technical training, client handling or technical service repair process)
- Determine whether responsibility lies with the technician?
- Determine whether responsibility lies with technical training?
- Is it the type of work, type of training or type of vehicle?
- Determine whether responsibility lies with the service consultant?
- Determine if the concern process is related to scheduling, timing, appropriate documentation, or communication especially effective intelligent listening or based on false assumptions?
- Is responsibility shared between the technician and the consultant?
- Is it related to a interpersonal or professional miscommunication or a relationship concern?
- Acts of Omission – not doing something that should have been done
- Acts of Commission – doing something that should not have been done
Escalated Client Concern Tracking & Control Process
An effective escalated client concern resolution, tracking and control process must consist of the following:
- Identification of the escalated client concern by the service consultant as part of the repair order creation process. This must include a review of the vehicle history in the dealer management system as well as the warranty history in the manufacturer’s resource tools.
- Open all identified escalated client concerns with source of payment as “internal” or “policy” (excluding special order parts, etc.)
- Record on the current work order such relevant information as all previous R.O. #’s, technician #’s, service consultant #’s.
- Open an escalated client concern tracking form on each case with copies of the relevant documents, previous R.O.’s and attach to the tracking form.
- Service Team Leadership must inspect and authorize all aspects of the resolution process before, during and after the repairs.
- Document leadership involvement in the resolution process and the specific findings on the hard copy and the tracking form.
- Determine and assign responsibility for any and all charges.
- Complete tracking form clearly identifying reasons for the escalated client concern
- Written leadership authorization is required to change the source of payment from “internal” to “warranty” when such a change is justified by the documented findings.
- When such cases are to be charged to warranty or goodwill the findings of the tracking process must be provided in support of the claim. This must be done by either adding this information to the work order invoice or by attaching a copy of the tracking form to the warranty copy of the repair order. The preferred method would be to add the information to the work order
- Analyze the tracking report to identify and correct root causes of process related issues as an aspect of continuous process improvement.
Escalated Client Concern Tracking Report
Date: ________Work Order#: ________ Serv Cons: _____ Tech: _____
Client Name: _______________ Phone # H: ________C:_________
VIN: _________________ Current Odometer: _____________
History of Previous Related Repair Visits
Original Client Concern: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Root Cause of Escalated Concern (Who & What) _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
|New Problem||Technical Process Error||No Fix Available|
|Misdiagnosis||Poor Workmanship||Client Misinformed|
|Undersell/Oversell||Intermittent Problem||Work Not Completed|
|Service Consultation||Service Documentation||Wrong technician|
|Wrong Part Ordered||Missing Relevant Information||Other specify
Corrective Action: __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Payment Responsibility for Escalated Client Concern
Support/Justification for Payment Responsibility ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Service Team Leader Signature Date
If this repair is to be charged to the OEM manufacturer this form must be included with the warranty copy.